Monday, July 6, 2009

It is my sincerest attempt to provide an online forum that will enable visitors to get a real, up-close peek into the underground poetry and spoken word scene. I will do this by building and maintaining a weblog that focuses primarily on the events and occurrences of local open-mic shows and their patrons. In my weblog, I will create an informative and creative atmosphere for artists of all genres. Although I will highlight and promote artists of many genres, the tying point will be that the artists featured will be those indie artists whose primary mode of operation is the open-mic scene. The blog will serve as a starting point for those who want to know what options are available in terms of nightlife that is not consistent with mainstream industry and as an information source for those who would like to frequent the open-mics, but don't have the resources or other means.

To accomplish my goals for the weblog, I will increase my own presence on the open-mic scene with the intentions of capturing live footage of performances and other interactions that happen during the run of a given show. I will post these clips along with photographs and other media and venue information and critiques. It is my intent to select a different artist on a monthly basis to feature on the site. As a function of featuring a given artist, I will provide bio information, cd samples, photographs, critiques, and miscellaneous information as well as artist tracking for the duration of the feature with up to date performance snippets.

Though the weblog will start out on a local level (Tampa, FL), I intend on expanding the coverage area as the site develops and grows to eventually include the entire nation. I would appreciate if this site eventually creates enough buzz that the numerous daily hits lead to something more permanent and promising for myself and for the open-mic community at large. I will promote this site, as a means to expose the talented indie artists who graciously share their art, with the hopes to help financially support artists with paid features and an annual monetary award contest on the basis of writing, performance, creativity, and other merits.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really excited to follow your blog because I am always trying to find something new and interesting to experience. Where can I find these underground scenes and are they welcoming or do I need to know someone who knows someone to be embraced? I myself do not write poetry but I am an avid writer and enjoy others insights and talents. I know your plan is to divulge information about the artists and such but could you post on the etiquette and atmosphere of this scene? I am interested in going but I want to ensure that I understand the appropriate attire…similar to the information provided on club promotion cards! Thanks again and I’m looking forward to seeing your blog unfold!

    ReplyDelete