So, now I see why no other poet had decided to do this before me, its hard! Yeah I said it! I didn't realize trying to committ to these other shows was so hard. It's been a while since I frequented the circuit, and now I understand why. Honestly, I thought I had stopped going to the shows so much because I had gotten bored. But, I think, it's because I don't have the patience.
See, for me to go to a poetry show and enjoy myself involves alcohol. I'm not the most social person, I'm nice but I don't like a lot of people talking to me and taking my attention. When I drink, I change. I become subdued, and friendly, able to share with people. Looking back, I realize that I would drink at every show, maybe only a few drinks, but I had alcohol. That's why I went out so much, it was always a party. As I have aged, I don't agree with so much drinking (I need my liver) so I don't feel like socializing as much.
So where do I go from here? Well, this week, I must attend 3 shows. I have officially put myself on probation with threats of termination. We're gonna establish that as the weekly minimum going forward. Let's set some standards.
.....As for the alcohol......we will see how that goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I, too, have come to drink less as I have gotten older; although having a small child does, as the cliche go, drive one towards drinking. Kidding. Sort of.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with probation! I don't know what "termination" means in this context, but ...um... it is a disturbing word...
I can understand where you coming from with the whole alcohol thing. Sometimes for me to have fun and enjoy myself, I have to drink or else it's just another boring party or event. Then when you start getting a little older things do change. If it's a situataion your in, or just the consequences you get from drinking. You do slow down later down the road.
ReplyDelete